Monday, August 10, 2009

Hello again! It's time for shrimp vindaloo!


wow, it's been a long time! Thanks for hanging in there with me this summer. I had an amazing time living in New York City for June and July and I finally feel like I'm settled back in at home, and I've started cooking again! Tonight I'm actually roasting a chicken (my easy go to dinner when I'm lost) but today I'm going to share with you my husband's favorite thing I make. In fact, the first time I ever cooked for him, this was the dinner we had!

It's a delicious Indian dish that does not use curry. So if you want to try some more ethnic flavors, but don't particularly like curries, here's your ticket! I devoured mine on a bed of fresh spinach and I do not regret losing the rice! For those who don't cook seafood often, remember that shrimp will cook completely in only about 3-4 minutes! As soon as they are curled up and pink, they're done. It's really easy to leave them for just 30 seconds more and they end up being chewy and tough.

Welcome back, and enjoy!

Shrimp vindaloo
  • 2 tsp minced ginger (use this amount in step 1)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne) depending on the heat level you want
  • 1/5 tsp cinnamon (trust me!)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves (again, trust me!)
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (yes, ginger is in the list twice. This instance is for step 2)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp golden raisins
  • 1 pound shrimp, deveined, and without shells (you can leave the tail cause it looks cute)
1. Combine first 9 ingredients (ginger through cloves) in a small bowl. Add vinegar to form paste.
2. heat oil in large skillet at medium high heat (about a 6 on a scale of 1-10). Stir in 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger and all garlic for 20 seconds.
3. Add spice paste to skillet, stir constantly for 30 seconds.
4. stir in brother and raisins.
5. simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
6 Add shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until shrimp is curled and looks pink.

Carb options
As with any good Indian food, jasmine/basmati rice and naan are delicious for soaking up sauces. A crisp, sweet white wine like a riesling or Gewürztraminer pairs perfectly with the Indian spiciness.

No comments: