Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spiced Chicken and Barley


Happy Wednesday, folks! I just got in from my bellydancing class. It is a super work out! I feel sore in muscles I didn't know I had! I'm sorry for not posting the exercise-at-home information as I mentioned last week. This week has been pretty busy, but I finally got a break today! It was really nice to have the morning to work on my thesis and clean the house a little. And since that's caught up, I can spend some time this evening posting a delicious recipe!

This recipe was given to me by my best friend Megan a few years ago. I've loved it ever since. The spices used give the dish a slight ethnic feel, but not so overwhelming that your kids or parents won't eat it! It takes a little time on the stove, but most if it is unattended. So if you come home from work and still have a few things to do around the house before sitting down to dinner, this is perfect. I usually serve with some steamed broccoli or a salad.

Those not on Stage 3 of the Dr. Malone diet yet, may want to hold off on this recipe until then. The chicken and barley cook together and it would be difficult (not to mention horribly tempting) to separate the two for eating.

Spiced Chicken & Barley
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. dried mint flakes
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 6 (4-oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I use breasts, just be sure to cut them in half for portion size)
  • 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 (14.25-oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 c. uncooked pearl barley
  • 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 6 Tbsp. chopped green onions
1. Combine first 7 ingredients; rub chicken with half of spice mixture.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken
and remove from pan.
3. Add onion and pepper, cook until lightly browned. Stir in soy
sauce, broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture.
4. Add chicken, nestling into veg mixture. Bring to a boil; cover,
reduce heat, simmer 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 10 minutes or until
liquid almost evaporates. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green
onions.

No comments: